I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Aeroplan launched its new suite of credit cards in Canada back in November, and now through August 3, 2021 they’re running the richest initial bonus offers we’ve ever seen for their American Express co-brands, plus generous spend offers for existing customers.
These aren’t available to most Americans, but Chase will be issuing a U.S. Aeroplan Mastercard this year and the Aeroplan program promises “many additional promotions, partnerships, and feature announcements” this summer as well. So take it as a sign of aggressive cardmember acquisition and promotion, even if you can’t pick up 150,000 Aeroplan miles with a single credit card yourself.
Here are the offers (information not reviewed or provided by American Express):
- The primary consumer American Express®* Aeroplan® Card is offering 44,000 Aeroplan points after $3000 in spend within 6 months (as an American.. meh). However they’re also offering 1000 more points each billing cycle you spend at least $500 on the card for 6 months to top this off to a 50,000 point offer, and they’re offering 5x on groceries and dining in Canada for 6 months (capped at 25,000 points).
- The premium American Express®* Aeroplan® Reserve Card is offering 70,000 points after $6000 in spend within 6 months (better!). And they’re adding 5000 points each billing cycle you spend at least $1000 on the card for 6 months, to top this off to a 100,000 point offer. Plus they’re doing 10x on dining and grocery for the first six months (capped at 50,000 points).
- The small business American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is offering 70,000 points after $6000 in spend within 6 months along with 5000 points each billing cycle you spend at least $1000 on the card for 6 months, to top this off to a 100,000 point offer. Plus they’re doing 10x on dining, gas and grocery for the first six months (capped at 50,000 points).
Existing cardmembers get spend offers as well. (Registration required via Amex Offers.)
- Base consumer: 5X on dining and grocery in Canada from June 23 to September 23, 2021, up to a maximum of 25,000 points.
- Premium consumer: 10X on dining and grocery in Canada from June 23 to September 23, 2021, up to a maximum of 50,000 points.
If I were a Canadian, I’d apply. But I grew up when Wayne Gretzky was playing and at his peak, and there’s not much reason to watch ice hockey anymore. Still, if I already had the cards I’d absolutely maximize the earn offers.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® Earn 65,000 AAdvantage miles.