I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
News notes from around the interweb:
- Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas is offering their Sterling elite status with a 2 night stay, “1 complimentary room night per year; 2X slot multipliers; One 2-for-1 Wicked Spoon buffet per month; 2-for-1 Opium tickets”
- Alaska Airlines is offering great bonuses buying miles through Sunday only. Some people are receiving offers of a 60% bonus (and since there’s no excise taxes this year) that means as low as 1.72 cents per mile which is the lowest I’ve seen. I was only offered a 40% bonus.
- Amtrak offers lounge access to co-brand credit card customers through August 31, 2020.
- There was a surprising amount of cash on board the Pakistan International Airlines Airbus A320 that crashed though I just assume that most flights in Pakistan involve smuggling of some sort, since there are so few flights, and comparisons of how much money the person on a plane with the most money has to the average Pakistani income are silly.
- Austin airport’s latest newsletter highlights their safe travel procedures for the virus era, and offers passenger recommendations. It’s nice to know they’re cleaning the bathrooms every 90 minutes – I wish toilet seats had covers people could close prior to flushing, as is a best practice in parts of Asia – but here’s one that vexed me:
We encourage passengers to arrive at least 2 hours before their flight to limit congestion.
How will more people spending extra time inside the airport lead to less congestion and greater distancing?
- Lots of restrictions as Hong Kong airport re-opens for transit passengers