News and notes from around the interweb:
- Hotels not serving breakfast ‘due to the pandemic’ still selling breakfast-included room rates
- The Serbian government has diluted Etihad’s ownership stake in Air Serbia from 48% to 18% by recapitalizing the airline. Etihad had already dropped its Belgrade – Abu Dhabi route.
- Taiwan, which is battling a resurgence in cases (relative to their baseline, around 50 cases in two weeks), has suspended international-to-international transit no more flying via Taipei. (HT: Drew J.)
Effective from 01JAN2021(local flight schedule departure time), foreigners will be restricted from entry nor transit via Taiwan. In addition to the negative COVID-19 test report, all the passengers entering Taiwan will also need to provide the proof of quarantine place from 15 Jan 2021.
- They stole $12,000 from a man at the Red Lion hotel who thought they were just coming over to smoke pot then they fled to Vegas.
- The pool manager, who worked at the Beverly Hills Hotel for 54 years, became homeless and has now passed away. Reportedly his problems began six years ago, at age 84, when he was hit with a big tax bill on the sale of his home and he could no longer afford his apartment.
Along the way, Petersen said he grew close to the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Faye Dunaway — he said he taught her how to swim — and Johnny Carson.
“They treated me like I was one of them,” he told The Hollywood Reporter’s Chris Gardner in 2017. “It was like a country club. Everybody knows everybody. Whitney Houston came down and she hugged and kissed me. That was my job, and that’s why I enjoyed it so much.”
- The Drake Hotel in Chicago turns 100
When Princess Diana came to Chicago she stayed here, in a luxury suite equipped — at her request — with an exercise bike.
Al Capone’s top lieutenant, Frank “The Enforcer” Nitti, kept an office here, with a secret door that allowed guests to exit onto a ballroom balcony and disappear into the night.
Bing Crosby, Walt Disney, George Gershwin and Charles Lindbergh sipped cocktails under the hotel’s sparkling chandeliers.
[…] Serbia has gotten a fresh injection of capital from the Serbian government, diluting Abu Dhabi-based Etihad’s ownership stake from 49% down to 18% in the process. In […]