News and notes from around the interweb:
- Restaurants are increasingly charging fees to pay by credit card in New York City
- Hilton Assistant General Manager sentenced for fraudulently billing guests, refunding fake charges to his own debit cards, at two hotels.
Canady worked as a front office and assistant general manager at two different hotels in 2020 and 2021. He admitted to using his access to the computer system at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown to create and use house accounts, bill an unsuspecting guest and then refund the same accounts to debit cards associated with his account.
The hotel fired him for failing to show up for work, but Canady continued to access its computer system to continue the fraud, according to his plea agreement.
- oneworld carrier Royal Air Maroc, where plenty of readers now have elite status, is offering 500 free miles for creating a family mileage-pooling account by May 20.
- Man convicted of defrauding American Express
[The man] used four business entities that he created and controlled and 10 American Express credit cards in those entities’ names to purchase thousands of Apple iPhones he then sold overseas for millions of dollars. Between November 2017 and December 2019, the defendant misrepresented to American Express his inability to repay more than $4.7 million in charges incurred from the purchase of iPhones and initiated phony payments in order to secure additional credit.
- Inspection finds health violations after 200 people got sick at Pittsburgh Marriott
- Emirates has received over 300,000 flight attendant job applications