News and notes from around the interweb:
- Evaluation of the Italian government rescue plan for Alitalia guess what it’s more of the same, shrink the airline and profit (HT: Cranky Flier)
- New Virgin Atlantic bookings made January 8 – February 2 for 2021 travel will earn 50% bonus elite qualifying miles and 50% bonus redeemable miles (eligible award travel will earn bonus qualifying miles only). You’ll need the 50% bonus miles as Virgin devalues the program.
Copyright: boarding1now / 123RF Stock Photo
- Mideast peace: Etihad leasing flight simulators to Israeli airline
- Man gives haircuts out of an airport shuttle bus
- Boeing’s $2.5 billion settlement of Boeing 737 MAX criminal charges is a fake number most of the money goes to airlines, much of which was already agreed to between Boeing and the airlines, and the figure includes money to victims already agreed to also. The government fine is less than $250 million. Seems to many like a gift from the outgoing Trump DOJ. Of course the CARES Act carved out $17 billion in loans to Boeing that the aircraft manufacturer didn’t even take…
- The former DoubleTree hotel on West 36th in Manhattan, turned homeless shelter, is closing.
- Two people shot at Marriott’s SpringHill Suites Newark and a body with gunshots found in a Red Lion in Oregon. The hotel shooting sprees continue.