Hyatt Gold Passport just announced three new changes: Discounted room rates for elites, 24 month expiration of points, and cash and points awards.
Cash and points is the biggest news of the bunch. For category 2 through 6 hotels you’re “buying back” points at between 1.2 and 1.38 cents apiece, which is a good deal.
And what’s more, it was announced that cash and points awards count towards elite status qualification.
But it’s even better than that. Yesterday Hyatt clarified that since cash and points rates count towards elite status, they also count if you’re trying to earn status on an accelerated basis with a ‘Diamond trial’ (where you match your current hotel status with another chain and Hyatt gives you their Diamond status short-term and then has reduced requirements to keep the status).
However, it gets better than that too. Hyatt apparently mistakenly indicated that cash and points awards could not be upgraded using Diamond confirmed suite upgrade certificates (Hyatt Diamond members receive 4 upgrades each year, valid for up to 7 nights each that can be used on any paid rate bookable through Hyatt channels). Award nights can’t have suite upgrades applied, but paid upgrades can.
I got an update from Hyatt yesterday that cash and points rates could be upgraded to suites with these confirmed upgrade instruments. I asked them to be 100% sure since earlier in the day Gold Passport had posted to frequent flyer forums that they could not be. And they came back to me 100% sure.
What’s more, when Hyatt runs promotions for bonus points cash and points rates will be treated as paid rates — staying on a cash and points rate will even count for promotional earning!
Since these are effectively paid rates, you’ll pay hotel taxes based on the cash portion of the rate and resort fees do apply where applicable.
- Since Points + Cash are qualifying nights/stays, will they count towards promotion earning? Yes
- Do Points + Cash stays count toward a Platinum/Diamond challenge? Yes, Points + Cash will count toward Platinum and Diamond challenges.
- Since Points + Cash are elite qualifying and more like paid nights, can Diamond confirmed suite upgrades be used on P+C nights? Yes
- Will P+C reservations include taxes and resort fees? The member will be responsible for all charges/fess the hotel has on normal rates for points and cash rates. Resort fees, service charges, taxes all have to be paid by the member.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!
[…] have changed since originally announced. Hyatt says one thing (no upgrades) and VFTW says another (yes, upgrades). Awesome. And in something of a hybrid, cancellation of a C+P stay inside the penalty window will […]