News and notes from around the interweb:
- The federal government keeps pushing back the REAL ID requirement passed by Congress in 2005, most recently until May 2025. They’re now planning to exempt mobile IDs from compliance for a period of time once that date finally arrives.
- Norse Atlantic, the transatlantic low cost carrier, is trumpeting that they are making money this summer but this misses the point. Of course a leisure airline makes money flying between the U.S. and Europe in the summertime. But do they make enough money to offset winter losses? Do they have anywhere counter-seasonal to send their aircraft?
- Lufthansa Mileage Bargains – transatlantic business class from 55,000 miles roundtrip
- Washington State residents should register with Delta to receive one SkyMile for each Seattle Seahawks yard thrown during the coming NFL season, and Main Cabin 1 priority boarding in Seattle September 10, 2023 through end of the Seahawks season.
- This is going to be a problem for new Saudi airline Riyadh Air. A former Twitter employee may have leaked details on anonymous accounts to the Saudi government (prior to Elon’s purchase of the platform), and…
A retired teacher in Saudi Arabia was recently sentenced to death for his tweets criticizing the country’s leadership to his handful of followers, according to rights advocates and his family.
The sentencing of Mohammad Alghamdi, who is in his mid-50s, is the latest in an escalating crackdown on social media users in Saudi Arabia. While others are serving prison terms ranging from 20 to 45 years for their tweets and online criticism of the government, Alghamdi appears to be the first person to be sentenced to death based solely on his posts on X, formerly called Twitter, and YouTube activity.
- I frequently criticize Airbnb for its high fees and for properties that charge big cleaning fees and then impose onerous task lists on checkout; limit access to things like air conditioning; or even that… sell lodging but don’t actually exist. But to be clear, being a short-term rental owner is no picnic either.
@valoanmama Short Term Rental Horror Guests #disneyhouse #airbnb #rentalguests ♬ original sound – VA Loan Mama