News and notes from around the interweb:
- Will the Charlotte airport ever get as big as Atlanta? No. Atlanta is currently twice as big a hub, Charlotte is an inexpensive second best with less non-stop traffic.
It’s also less desirable as an international destination, American sees Philadelphia as its transatlantic gateway, Miami for Latin America and Los Angeles for transpacific. But it’s a good connecting hub for the Southeast and Midatlantic, keeps its costs very lwo to stay that way, and the local community benefits from outsized air service (albeit higher prices) as a result.
- Tim Horton’s will introduce a loyalty program this year
- British Airways parent IAG places new restrictions on non-EU shareholders acquiring stock out of fear for what happens post-Brexit if British citizens, not included in the new limits, push the carrier to become non-European owned.
- Qatar Airways has voice and accent training for cabin crew
- 16 year old arrested for hijack attempt in Alaska
- The Winglet wants United to disavow Louis Farrakhan’s appearance at the United Center. United says they have no influence over what happens there, they just pay for the name. Of course Delta ended its sponsorship of the Fox Theater in Atlanta when they learned Qatar Airways was going to appear there.
- We’re #1! My home airport of Austin had more guns seized per traveler than any other aiport in the US last year