I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
IHG Rewards Club PointBreaks are live. These are hotels they’re offering discounted redemption prices for.
IHG Rewards Club has been offering discounted hotel night redemptions for just 5000 points per night for more than a decade.
- At the beginning there were some high value hotels included in the discount properties list. Over time there have been fewer and fewer premium hotels. The ‘good ones’ are almost always swept up and disappear from the list within a couple of days.
- These deals have been so good that in China people were automating PointBreaks bookings and reselling them.
At the beginning of the year they changed how PointBreaks work. Instead of 5000 points per night, prices are 5000, 10,000, or 15,000 points per night depending on hotel. Additionally,
- Limit two reservations per hotel per member
- Valid for stays through February 28, but any given hotel may not have discounted availability for long so don’t wait to book
- If you sell a PointBreaks booking very bad things may happen to your account.
There are 13 hotels available for just 5000 points apiece. There are 39 hotels in the U.S. alone at the 10,000 point level. Doubling the redemption price clearly opens up more availability, though it’s sad how few properties are now offered for 5000 points when all PointBreaks used to be that lower price. Four Intercontinental properties are available though.
InterContinental Phu Quoc Long Beach Resort, Credit: IHG
Bear in mind that through the end of the month you can still buy up to 200,000 IHG Rewards Club points at just half a cent apiece.
Here’s the list of participating hotels: