News and notes from around the interweb:
- US airline operating costs per minute way up in 2020, with fixed or centralized costs spread out across fewer flights.
- United and American halt Shanghai non-stops and return to operating via Seoul “following reports of lengthy waits facing airline crews upon arrival, limited local accommodations and restrictions on their movement in China.” The Seoul stop with change of crew allows for a straight turnaround of the aircraft in China.
- 2 Amtrak one-way Acela trips of $49 or more each by February 10 earns 2 free one-ways to be used by March 15, 2021. You can earn this bonus twice. Elite ‘Select Executive’ members earn Acela first class one-ways. Registration required.
- Man sentenced for sticking his phone inside a paper towel dispenser in a New York LaGuardia restroom in order to record women as they freshened up.
- United will require absence certificates from flight attendants who call out sick over the holidays
- You can’t travel to New Zealand now, but here’s the new Air New Zealand safety video.