News and notes from around the interweb:
- Southwest Airlines seat saving etiquette: “It is OK to save seats, but not prime seats. That is, it’s OK to save seats to keep a group together, but not OK to save seats to get your friends nicer seats.”
- CitizenM hotels has a paid premium program, $12/mo ($144/year) gets you 15% off room rates, late checkout and premium view (subject to availability) and 10% off food and beverage outside of breakfast. They have a status match offer for $39.95 for a year, potentially worth it even with just a single night at one of their hotels, that is open to anyone with any status at any airline or any hotel in the world.
- Simon Malls Amex now offers 5% back at all Simon merchants, while other spend is down to 1% from 1.5%. (Gift cards still excluded, $10,000 spend cap remains for the 5%.)
- Airbus sounds the death knell for pivot overhead bins on its single-aisle jets
- United brings back bread baskets to international business class
- U.S. Territory Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands asks DOT to restore Open Skies with China