Aeroplan launches its new program November 8, 2020. To prepare for the system changes, they will be making many of their current systems and features unavailable from the evening of November 6 through the evening of November 8. Some features are stopping sooner, though – and some won’t return until “later” – indeed, next year.
- Award redemption no new bookings, changes, or cancellations evening of November 6 though afternoon of November 8. Passengers in the midst of award travel during this time who need booking assistance can get help by phone.
- Non-air rewards no gift cards, merchandise, or other travel evening of November 6 though afternoon of November 8.
- Delay in posting points Points earned with partners starting October 30 will be delayed. This applies to earning through November 9. Crediting should start back November 10.
- No elite changes since choice benefits must be selected by October 31 anyway. Upgrades and other benefits will be available throughout the changeover period.
- No Star Alliance upgrades for awhile New upgrade requests using Aeroplan miles for partner airline upgrades will be taken offline October 31. This feature won’t return until “later in 2021.” They say they de-prioritized updating this feature because so few people are flying internationally. (Other Star Alliance program members can continue to redeem miles for upgrades on Air Canada.)
These are inconveniences which – if they go according to plan – should be minor for most members. Program leadership have experience in the disaster of moving from one passenger service system to another at United Airlines in 2012, to recent reservations system migration at Air Canada, and the challenge of call center problems last year. So hopefully that learning leads them to be conservative in this approach, and everything will come back as planned in this timeline.