News and notes from around the interweb:
- Disney in perspective.
Inflation adjusted would be $11. Actual cost, off-peak, 1 day $104.
Disney magic. https://t.co/kxsJfzDbtw
— Rakesh Agrawal (@rakeshlobster) December 4, 2022
- Man with knife tried to abduct 3 people at Hyatt Regency New Orleans
- Qantas responds to shocking baggage handler footage by immediately increasing CEO bonus (parody)
- Why do the characters in The White Lotus keep returning to eat in the hotel restaurant? (WSJ, HT: @crucker) Before IHG acquired Kimpton, Kimpton properties actually developed restaurants for the local market rather than guests and as a result were usually pretty good. There are good hotel restaurants, like at Park Hyatt DC (Blue Duck Tavern) and Grand Hyatt Singapore (Straits Kitchen). Even so, the same restaurant night after night seems like such a missed opportunity.
- AI is already reshaping air travel, will airports themselves be next? (HT: Paul H)
- Woman Pleads Guilty to $400K Pandemic Scheme Renting Out NYC Hotel Rooms
Lewis sold roughly 1,936 nights’ worth of hotel rooms out to people during those few months. She had allegedly advertised the rooms on Facebook to find buyers while falsely claiming to be a healthcare worker to access the rooms.
The city’s isolation hotel program was designed to provide accommodations to people sick with the virus or a safe space to isolate, especially the healthcare workers weary of exposure.