News and notes from around the interweb:
- Maybe they were Visa gift cards, and law enforcement is treating them as debit because of the PINs?
JUST IN: Woman in Miami found with $128,680 in car, 14 debit cards, and fake IDs, police say.
She is being held on $1M bond. pic.twitter.com/vHHtUtgMNv
— Andy Slater (@AndySlater) September 3, 2021
- The federal infrastructure package includes a trial for a vehicle miles tax. Gas taxes are raising less as cars become more fuel efficient, and as people switch to electric vehicles. A miles tax would raise money from everyone who drives, but if it replaces a gas tax it removes one incentive for consumers to be fuel efficient. It’s more expensive to collect (because all drivers rather than gas companies pay). And it has privacy concerns,
States with VMT pilots have variously offered drivers a choice between regular odometer checks, plug-in mileage meters, GPS trackers and smartphone apps.
Options that could involve any suggestions of tracking will almost certainly raise privacy concerns, with a high potential for becoming politicized over fears that the government is somehow tracking drivers.
- More disagreement over when metro to Washington Dulles will finally be ready.
- New Air Arabia low cost carrier in Pakistan
- Singapore’s Hawker Chan – the least expensive Michelin meal – loses its star.
- The NomNom food delivery robot at LAX.
Star or no star, this place has the best food. Two of us ate for under $15.00 in 2017.
The lines are shorter slightly after lunch hour. It’s sort of fast food like. You order on a machine and wait for your number to be called. Very casual.
@ Gary — She was JUST MS’ing…
MSing doesn’t involve holding large amounts of cash.
Just because you can tax something doesn’t mean you should…..
Ha, last week I had to get a new debit card because somebody attempted to use “mine” at a gas station in Miami (I was in Arkansas at the time and had been for several days). Fortunately the bank caught it – maybe this lady was behind the fraud…
Metro to IAD will open when the Bills win the Super Bowl.
The infrastructure TAX and TAX us to Death Bill sucks//Hope it hurts JOE’s voters the MOST!!!
WMATA is bad at operation, probably their internal issues preventing contractor to perform works.
We have thugs released on recognizance who are witnessed to have committed violent crimes yet this lady is held on 1 million. Bail is a constitutional right. She had cash: not a crime. She had debit cards (maybe): not a crime. Were the fake IDs for herself? We have illegals given driver licenses in some states. It’s not fair to single her out when many state and local governments commit ID fraud to protect illegals.