News and notes from around the interweb:
- I’m giving away 5 prizes each of a $200 gift card and top tier elite status with National Car Rental. Leave a comment in the entry thread, that’s all you have to do to enter. There are surprisingly few entries so far, which makes chances of winning pretty good..
- Cathay Pacific, which reduced seat capacity out of San Francisco when it downgauged 747 flights to Boeing 777s, is adding a third flight there three days a week.
- Emirates Skywards is reducing mileage-earning on the cheapest economy fares and increasing the cost of some upgrades. Redemption chart remains unchanged, so folks transferring from American Express Membership Rewards for awards are unaffected.
- Passenger traffic and airline seat capacity in 2014. Delta overtook United to grab the number two spot in passengers carried. People forget how big Southwest is. No one knows regional carrier SkyWest is larger than Alaska. Or that Spirit is larger than Virgin America. Spirit grew 18% year-over-year.. and Alaska is growing faster than Delta.
- If you find Emirates first class award seats at Expertflyer.com but they don’t show up on the Alaska Mileage Plan website for redemption, call and ask the agent to request the seats ‘in the old system’. Alaska is apparently investigating the glitch that makes this process necessary.
- The DOT notice to airlines on how it will handle authority for scheduled flights to Cuba.