News and notes from around the interweb:
- As announced on Milepoint, Starwood has finally introduced an Android app.
- Mommy Points offers great advice to prepare for a child’s first flight.
- A Jetstar (Qantas low cost subsidiary) crew was taken hostage in Shanghai (Shanghai’d?) by passengers who figured they were getting stranded after a diversion. This even though the airline was providing hotel rooms. Passengers eventually made it to their final destination of Beijing.
- Wendy Perrin offers advice to plan ahead for the next big storm, you’re in best shape if you’ve got a good travel agent handling things for you; some people benefit from travel insurance (although I only like insuring against the costliest of bad events); you can hire Cranky Concierge to help; and she follows my advice to use online tools to find available seats the airline might not think to offer you; and if you don’t have elite status and face long hold times to try your airline’s non-US phone numbers.
- Radisson’s stay one night, get one night promotion requires booking by tomorrow. The US Airways 100% bonus on shared miles (opportunity to buy miles at 1.135 cents apiece) ends tomorrow as well.