News notes from around the interweb:
- New American Airlines safety video coming. From the Q3 State of the Airline employee written Q&A followup released Tuesday “We plan for regular updates of our safety video and are developing our next version now.” Several people seem to think it will be out March 1 to coincide with new uniforms.
- Only 5 cities have two airports each handling 50 million airline seats or more per year
- oneworld alliance is considering introducing alliance-wide upgrades where you’d use miles in one program to upgrade paid tickets on another carrier. If this happens – and introduction isn’t imminent – it will presumably be limited to the highest fare tickets.
- United is integrating 3D views of their cabins with seat maps so customers can get a feel for the seats they might select. American isn’t doing that but since each airline copies the next – sort of – American plans to take existing 3D content and integrate that into seat maps. Yeah, that’s the same thing… Also from written Q&A followup:
We’ve had 3D content on aa.com for quite some time, including offering virtual tours of our Premium Economy product for customers. We will be integrating this content into the seat maps and booking options on aa.com and the app. We also have several fleet types for customers to explore all cabins virtually at https://exploreamerican.com/virtual-tour/tour.htm
- Why you can’t open an aircraft door midflight (HT: Tommy L)