I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card lets you earn up to 100,000 points as an initial bonus, which in 2020 is enough to earn a Companion Pass. And along with the spending required to earn the bonus you generate enough with one card to meet the normal 125,000 point requirement, too.
- Here’s the offer: 70,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 30,000 points after you spend $25,000 on purchases in the first 6 months.
You earn 100,000 bonus points plus at least 25,000 from your spending. That earns a companion pass for the rest of 2020 and for all of 2021. And you have 125,000 points which – doubled via the Companion Pass – buys about $3750 worth of travel.
Well Southwest has another offer to make spending on a Southwest credit card get you to a Companion Pass faster, allowing you to bring someone on your travels (whether buying a ticket or redeeming points) for jus the cost of modest taxes.
I just received an email offer of a 30% bonus on points earned from spending on a Southwest card, and the bonus counts towards Companion Pass. Registration is required. It’s not clear whether the promotion is targeted, though the terms do say “Only the Rapid Rewards Member who received this offer from Southwest Airlines® is eligible for this promotion.”
- By January 31, 2021
- Spend at least $40,000 on the card between October 1, 2020 and January 31, 2021
- Earn 30% bonus on purchases made on your Rapid Rewards Credit Card during the Promotion Period, up to 25,000 bonus points.
- This 30% bonus counts towards Companion Pass (but not elite status)
- Bonus may take 8 weeks from the end of the promotion to post
- Cash equivalent transactions and annual fee don’t count as spending, and neither do Ultimate Rewards transfers or a new card initial bonus
Earning a Companion Pass in 2020 requires just 100,000 points and a card initial bonus counts. Southwest gives everyone 25,000 points towards the 125,000 required this year.
With this promotion though it sounds like points will post in 2021, and therefore count towards earning a Companion Pass in 2021 which will be valid for the rest of 2021 and for all of 2022.