Hyatt Gold Passport announced a promotion for their co-brand credit card holders. Register and receive a 10% rebate on points redeemed through October 31.
- Free nights, cash and points redemptions, suite upgrades, and in-hotel spa and restaurant redemptions qualify. (You won’t you get a rebate on are airline mileage transfers or car rental certificates.)
- The offer is valid for redemptions completed by October 31
- Registration is required by August 31.
- Points won’t be returned immediately. Hyatt promises to deposit them in your account 6-8 weeks after stay completion.
Park Hyatt Sydney
A key point here is that any redemption stay by cardmembers who register which is completed by October 31 will receive the rebate. (A stay that begins in October with checkout in November will not qualify, and a reservation made by the end of October for a later stay will not qualify.)
In 2015 Hyatt and Chase offered co-brand credit card holders a 20% rebate during a five month period at the beginning of the year. That was the first time they made such an offer. While a 10% rebate is nice, it’s hard not to compare it to last year’s 20%.
Last year I happened to be redeeming points for the Park Hyatt Maldives (among other things, including some cash and points bookings) during the promotion period. So I scored really well with the uncapped 20% rebate.
Park Hyatt Hadahaa Maldives
I’ve confirmed with Hyatt that this year’s promotion will work the same way as last year’s:
- There is no need to cancel and rebook existing reservations. Reward nights that occur during the promotion period will receive the rebate as long as you register, regardless of when you made the booking.
- Points will probably come back to you faster than the promised 6-8 weeks. Last year we saw some rebates post within a week. The longer time frame is the commitment, but in practice they’re likely to outperform this.
- New cardmembers will be able to take advantage of this promotion. There’s still plenty of time to get the card and register and make reservations during the promotion period to receive the rebate. I’ve confirmed (and re-confirmed) this with Hyatt despite any language in the offer terms which appear to suggest otherwise.
I don’t actually major award stays to make over the next few months, but at the margin this offer will:
- Tip the scales towards cash and points where available on my paid bookings. Of course I’m trying to book cash and points for most non-work category 2 through 6 stays anyway.
- Encourage me to gift some award nights during the promotion period, considering Hyatt’s benefit where Diamonds booking awards for friends gift ‘Diamond for a stay’ to those friends.
Even with this rebate remember that it’s never a good idea to spend your points in-hotel on dining or spa.
How will you play this?