News and notes from around the interweb:
- American Airlines has removed all domestic basic economy fares, without raising fares this may be temporary, but for now means American is offering outstanding value – its lowest fares are better than the lowest fares of United or Delta.
Cranky Flier thinks this is bad business strategy and a way to send a message to other airlines that they need to stop extending change fee waivers on their basic tickets – although American was rumored to be considering eliminating basic economy altogether anyway.
- The wild Hertz bankruptcy saga (FT)
- Anguilla will remove quarantine, testing on arrival requirements for vaccinated travelers in July though they’ll still require a negative Covid-19 test to enter. Starting October they plan to require vaccination.
- Not new, but I hadn’t seen this. Someone paid over $3000 for Michael Jordan’s expired Amex card. And it’s a Green card… not even Gold or Platinum (let alone a Black card).
— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) May 5, 2020
- The sign comes down at Gate 35X. (HT: @svor)
That's a wrap on Gate 35X! As this chapter in airport history closes, we couldn't be more excited about what tomorrow will bring.
— Reagan Airport (@Reagan_Airport) April 20, 2021
- Once again proving there’s an aviation angle to everything.
Headed to Minneapolis to stand with the Floyd family as closing arguments are set to be made today. pic.twitter.com/kkS9KtHzq1
— Reverend Al Sharpton (@TheRevAl) April 19, 2021