I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
News notes from around the interweb:
- I went on the Miles To Go podcast this week to talk about Hyatt’s impending peak/off peak award devaluation and Scott Kirby’s announced rise to become CEO of United.
- Star Alliance member Avianca is planning a smaller fleet and layoffs to return to profitability.
- Austin’s airport used to claim a rule of local brands only for retailers, but there’s long been a Vino Volo and there’s now an Einstein bagel and Caribou Coffee – and in the coming weeks a Starbucks opening by baggage claim and also airside past security checkpoint 1. Also opening,
Salvation Pizza and 24 Diner will open in the coming weeks at ABIA, and next year the airport will introduce the Austin City Kitchen at the Gate 9 expansion, which will include Sushi-A-Go-Go (from owners of Kome), Noble Sandwich Co., Austin Beerworks, Zocalo Cafe and Hardie’s market.
You’re best off with Flyrite Chicken, Second Street Bar & Kitchen, Tacodeli, and Peached Tortilla. And I’ll still get my airport coffee from Briggo, I order by app as I’m entering the checkpoint and it’s ready as I walk past the machine.
- British Airways is putting a 747 on its San Jose flight if you’re willing to pay surcharges this should mean more award seats. And the British Airways Visa Signature® Card does make the award fees go down easier.
- Pilots for Qantas’ low cost carrier Jetstar forgot to lower their landing gear. (They might have said ‘oops’.)
- John Travolta is us.
Travolta is a consummate avgeek. And apparently just as insufferable to watch a movie with as I am. https://t.co/hH6Eu8O3G0
— Jon Ostrower (@jonostrower) December 10, 2019
- Woman with apple allergy denied boarding by Emirates