News and notes from around the interweb:
- I was on the latest episode of the Travel is Free podcast with TIF author Drew and Bikeguy.
- This man keeps stealing luggage from the Phoenix airport
- Uber and Lyft drivers are simultaneously turning off their apps for two minutes to create surges at Washington National airport.
[V]ery night, several times a night, Uber and Lyft drivers at Reagan National Airport simultaneously turn off their ride share apps for a minute or two to trick the app into thinking there are no drivers available—creating a price surge. When the fare goes high enough, the drivers turn their apps back on and lock into the higher fare.
It’s happening in the Uber and Lyft parking lot outside Reagan National airport. The lot fills with 120 to 150 drivers sometimes for hours, waiting for the busy evening rush.
- El Al launching Las Vegas – Tel Aviv June 14 all of the US expansion will be good for Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members looking for redemption seats.
- The TWA Hotel at New York JFK wasn’t quite ready when it opened, with some spaces not done and guests waiting to check into rooms that were having furniture moved in. But the mid-century modern design is spectacular and it’s an aviation geek’s dream.
- Air France will sell you the wines they serve on board (but it’s not duty free, just online shopping)
- Welcome to first class!