Right on the heels of one of the best airfare deals we’ve seen in a long time being honored, you can fly Chicago – Sydney roundtrip in business class from $1492. This is on Air New Zealand (fly Chicago – Auckland non-stop on their 787 and on to Sydney) or fly United through Los Angeles or San Francisco.
At this price you can definitely get yourself to and from Chicago for the journey.
Key details of Air New Zealand fare ZW0ZA9:
- Travel permitted Friday, Saturday, Sunday in each direction
- Outbound must occur January 12 – November 30
- Free stopovers permitted in Hawaii (on the return) and Auckland
- Tickets must be issued by January 10 but there’s no way this deal will last that long
- Cancellable prior to departure for $250 fee
- $250 change fee (plus difference in fare, which will be considerable)
This is booked into the cheapest business class fare bucket (Z) and is labeled “WEEKEND BUSINESS CLASS PROMOTIONAL FARES” rather than being a mistake fare. However as I wrote earlier about the Cathay Pacific fares we don’t know for certain how Air New Zealand will feel about such a deep discount airfare sale, whether they might get seller’s remorse, so I’d wait a few days after buying additional travel or making additional non-refundable plans around the fare.
In theory an airline refusing to honor a sale like this would have to reimburse any out of pocket costs you incurred but there’s not much history with enforcement of that particular DOT statement so I’d still not test it.
Update: Small online travel agencies (search momondo.com) will sell this as low as $1280
(HT: One Mile at a Time)