I mentioned yesterday that hotel booking website PointsHound would be offering a double points promotion starting today.
The promotion is now live on their website.
With PointsHound you can choose to earn points in the following programs when you book hotels through their site:
I reviewed PointsHound extensively back in May.
Key things to know:
- It pays to compare rates — in the past I have noticed occasional outliers where the site winds up more expensive than booking directly, but that hasn’t been frequent in the searches I’ve done. Always check prices against other sources.
- They offer some prepaid rates, usually giving you more miles, but those likely will not earn elite stay credit or points in the hotel program of the property you’re staying at. They also offer “Double Up” rates which do earn points and elite status credits. Know which you are booking.
I would book the former when I’m staying as a one-off with chains I don’t usually participate in points programs with, and the latter with my regular chains — although Hyatt and Marriott will honor elite stay benefits (just one give points and credit towards earning status) on prepaid rates. Since I’ve already requalified or Hyatt Diamond stats through February 2015, I would consider a higher points-earning prepaid rate at a Hyatt (and still get my status benefits).
There are no special tricks to the double points offer, it show up reliably on its own on the PointsHound site. Here’s what a hotel result looks like, flagging the double points and also the icon to show you it is eligible for “Double Up” earning and elite credit through the hotel’s loyalty program as well:
Using my link to sign-up benefits you (not me):
- There’s a usual first-time booking bonus of 250 miles. Using my link gets you 500 miles instead, because usually the person referring you also gets 250 miles with your first stay and I’ve worked with PointsHound to give that extra 250 to you instead.
- It also gives you the first 60 days at “level 2 earning” which gives folks an extra 50% miles on their bookings roughly (the more stays you book the higher the level you earn with them, the more miles each booking will earn).
When you sign up for a new account using my link you will see the following message:
Also, as a thank you for signing up, you’ll receive an ADDTIONAL 500 miles with your first booking, so start shopping!
We will also be upgrading your account to Level 2 status, which will happen with in the next 24 hours. You’ll receive an email from us once completed!
You may want to wait those 24 hours before making a booking in order to earn the higher level 2 points for your reservation, but remember to make the reservation by August 31 at the latest to take advantage of this promotion.
Using a site like PointsHound to make your hotel bookings, when you can still earn hotel points for your stay (booking an eligible “Double Up” property/rate) and when the rates are the same, is a no brainer compared to booking on the hotel’s own site. With this double miles promotion you’ll also reliably earn more than going through another cash back or points portal to make your booking.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. Don’t miss out!
[…] from the Wing explains that PointsHound has a new double miles […]