It’s been some time since there have been generous offers just to sign up for a frequent flyer program, essentially to start a permission marketing relationship. Maybe 16 years ago United Airlines was giving out 1000 miles to new members referred by an existing member, and rewarding the member that referred them to. But usually new member bonuses have required some kind of activity – proof of a customer’s value to the airline – before being triggered.
Qatar Airways is an exception. They’re back with free miles when you join by September 30, 2021 with promo code OALSMH121:
- 2500 miles just for joining
- 5000 miles and 50 elite qualifying points (one-third of the way to elite status) after your first Qatar Airways flight by December 31, 2021
Qatar Airways Privilege Club is worth joining:
- Qatar Airways is a Citi ThankYou miles transfer partner. Signing up for a Qatar Airways Privilege Club thus makes sense for many frequent flyers in the U.S.
- Their miles no longer expire as long as you have activity in your account every 3 years.
- The program recently reversed its 2018 devaluation. Airlines have rolled back negative changes before but it was a different era when we used to see that.
(HT: Mainly Miles)