I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
A dozen years ago Chase came out with a 100,000 point offer for their British Airways credit card. (The British Airways currency wasn’t called Avios then.) It was revolutionary and frequent flyers rushed to become British Airways Executive Club members and cardholders.
In recent years Chase has requested hefty spending to earn 100,000 Avios on the card, such as $20,000 in spend. Some members wanted to do this, since they were going to keep spending to earn a ‘Travel Together’ ticket that let them get a second award ticket on the same itinerary without spending additional miles. But it was a lot of spend. Now that’s changed.
Well, it’s exciting to see the British Airways Visa Signature® Card back with an initial bonus offer to earn 100,000 Avios – with much more reasonable requirements. You earn this bonus after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
The reason some people spend on the card is because every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years. However I don’t otherwise love it for spending,
- 5 Avios per dollar spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia within your first 18 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3 Avios.
- 3 Avios per dollar spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within your first 18 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2 Avios.
- 1 Avios per dollar spent on all other purchases
One nice feature of the card, though, is 10% off British Airways flights ticketed through the cardmember booking website.
Another nice thing is that Chase issues not just the British Airways card but also sister Aer Lingus and Iberia products and they each have similar bonus offers.
- Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Iberia Visa Signature® Card earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
Active Avios accounts can transfer points between them, so it’s possible to pool points across the Iberia, British Airways and Aer Lingus programs. Of course like all Chase cards you generally will only be approved if you’ve had fewer than 5 new cards in the past 24 months (“5/24”).