American Express has created popup lounges to promote their product, such as one a year ago at Chicago O’Hare:
And such as this one at LAX:
For years Chase has had a popup lounge around the holidays at the major mall in Short Hills, New Jersey (Newark is a United hub) and more recently at the Westfield San Francisco Center (San Francisco is another United hub). In recent years until last year they would exchange United Club passes for wrapped toys.
The idea — whether for American Express or Chase — is to be where their customers are, and highlight their products. In the case of American Express, it’s also been a tell about future lounge locations although LAX airport moves at a glacial pace.
American Express tells me they’ll be hosting a pop-up in Deer Valley, Utah March 10 through 19, open 10am – 4pm. It will be located mid-mountain near the Empire Canyon Lodge & Montage Hotel.
Credit: Empire Canyon Lodge
The pop-up will be accessible to Platinum and Centurion cardmembers plus two guests or immediate family members (this is before the March 30th family access policy change).
Here’s what the Centurion lounge in the slopes will offer:
- Ski Lessons with Olympic champions Jillian Vogtli and Kaylin Richardson and from Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame member Kris “Fuzz” Feddersen.
- Wine tastings with Anthony Giglio, well worth doing (I’ve had the opportunity more than once at Centurion lounge pre-opening events)
- Vosges Chocolate Tastings
- Après-ski cocktails from mixologist Jim Meehan who plans drinks for the Centurion lounges, and food from the chefs of various Centurion airport lounges
- Boot and Helmet warming stations
- Virtual Reality gear where you can check out… the Miami Centurion Lounge for a little South Florida warmup I suppose.
The American Express pop up I still really want to experience, though, is their Take-in restaurant.