News and notes from around the interweb:
- Today is the last day for the 50,000 Hilton HHonors point signup bonus plus $50 statement credit offer for a Hilton HHonors Visa Signature. More details here.
- The AAA breakfast rate can get you a full breakfast at Hyatt while at hotels with a Regency Club Diamond members only get the club’s offerings. Of course, you can do better still often times at higher-end properties with American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts (for Platinum and Centurion cardholders), Virtuoso rates, and even Visa Signature Hotels bookings.
- Belgium bans airbnb. This after banning Uber. Brussels is not a friend of travel, or of innovation, it seems.
- If there’s an American Express card you’ve had before but are considering picking back up again, do it this month because there are new rules about multiple Amex bonuses going into effect May 1.
- Confession: I don’t even remember the last time I needed to ‘buy’ shampoo, soap, or conditioner.
- Here are Hilton discount and package offers that you’re actually entitled to use (as opposed to corporate discount cods for companies you don’t work for).
- Rocketmiles has added Southwest Rapid Rewards as an earning partner.
(Note that cards in this post offer credit to me if you’re approved using my links. The opinions, analyses, and evaluations here are mine. The content is not provided or commissioned by American Express, by Chase, by Citibank, US Bank, Bank of America, Barclays or any other company. They have not reviewed, approved or endorsed what I have to say.)
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!
Airbnb is NOT banned in Belgium. The local government of Flanders just reiterated that those renting out rooms that way have to follow the same rules as for instance B&B owners. These rules are however very ‘light’: for renters with two rooms or less – the majority I suspect – there’s just the need to register yourself with the government. Hardly a ‘ban’.
@ Gary — When I try to apply for various DL AMEX cards, I see the following under the offer terms already “If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.” Does that mean the new “May 1 rule” is already in effect for these cards, or can I ignore this language?
+1 on not purchasing shampoo, conditioner, and soap. It’s been years.
@Gene that’s been common for many months, it means you’re logged into an American Express account and they may try to exclude you from the bonus. Clear cookies or use a different browser to apply.
@ Gary — No, this is AFTER clearing my cookies. It doesn’t say anything about being identified as a current cardmember. I am concerned about this part — “This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product,” since I have probably had just about every one of their products at one time or another.
Is the shampoo thing a reference to the endless supply of toiletries from hotel stays?
@Gene – interesting. try a new broswer or a different offer? I haven’t replicated what you’re seeing, but I do see “Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card account within the last 90 days.”
Citi offer for $50k hilton ponts seem to be down already :/
Good reminder about the Amex personal card change. Of course I went through my cancelled cards and of course the one I was going to get again soon was the Hilton HHonors Surpass but unfortunately it looks like I cancelled it last May 3rd…