Marriott’s TownePlace Suites near George Washington’s home at Mount Vernon in Virginia caught fire at 1:13 a.m. this morning. A hotel guest – standing outside the property at the time – notified the manager who called 911. Since the fire was on the roof, there was no smoke alarm.
A lightning strike on the TownePlace Suites Fort Belvoir last night caused a two alarm fire and $100,000 worth of damages. All guests and employees were safely evacuated thanks to the quick action of the manager and Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department. https://t.co/Lh9WxUnWLC pic.twitter.com/9dLchkA2dw
— Mount Vernon-Lee Chamber of Commerce (@MtVLChamber) July 7, 2020
Fire crew responded to evacuate 108 guests and put out the fire on the room. Early estimates are that the property sustained $100,000 in damage. All guests are being moved to other hotels. There’s no word yet when the Marriott Rewards category 3 hotel will re-open.
You have less than a 1 in 15,000 chance of being struck by lightning, and 90% of people struck by lightning survive. Electric fields would likely kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus.