Here are the best travel tricks and tips, the highlights of View from the Wing posts from September.
I also wrote a post with the most useful advice I’ve given, overall.
It turns out, surprisingly, that the feature was really popular, at least judging by the emails I got — people that don’t read the blog every day really appeciated the recap and not having to dig through all of the posts to find the most enduring ones.
These are some that were my favorites from September. I hope you were happy with some of the posts and got something out of them as well.
- Should you jump on the US Airways MasterCard bonus before it goes away?
- Diners Club credit cards return after a long period in the wilderness.
- Big bonus for new Delta Skymiles members
- The top 10 ways to earn miles
- The 11 greatest miles and points deals ever.
- Where to find business class award seats to Europe using American or British Airways miles
- Emirates A380 first class award space wide open this winter
- Saving money with ‘throwaway ticketing’ — it’s useful and the New York Times‘ ‘Ethicist’ says it’s fine!
- Two new hotel sites get you better rooms for less money
- Get your hotel stay free using a best rate guarantee claim
- IHG Rewards Club really valuable free night promotion offer. Despite speculation to the contrary, the nights don’t have special gotchas.
- The price to buy US Airways miles will go up in November.
- Never accept a room that’s unacceptable
- How to Survive a Plane Crash. Not especially original, but it was my most read post of the month and I did learn the proper brace position.
- Why domestic upgrades are becoming harder to get.
- What is immigration preclearance and where can you use it?
- A simple mistake to avoid if you want to upgrade to first class.
- Tickets available to the largest frequent flyer gathering in history. The Advanced session is sold out, but there are tickets left for the main session. Don’t miss it, in the DC area December 5-7.
- What to do when your reservation isn’t honored
- The Star Alliance lifetime Gold status trick is coming to an end.
- My comment to the Department of Transportation on proposed ancillary fee transparency rules
- American Airlines is eliminating the interlining of baggage on separate tickets outside of the oneworld alliance.
- The American Express Centurion lounge, Las Vegas. I can’t wait for San Francisco and Miami to open!
Understand the World
- Loyalty programs are all about conflicts of interest
- DFW gets Airbus A380 service. And John Travolta pays a visit.
- How’s the American Airlines-US Airways merger doing?
- What causes your frequent flyer account to get audited. How to prepare yourself and respond.
- The final death of the mileage run
- What’s causing IHG Rewards Club to shut down accounts?
- Here’s how travel insurance works with award tickets.
Thank you for reading, I look forward to sharing another great month with you!